Thursday, May 29, 2008

She smiled at me!


Yesterday evening, Paris was changing Hannah's diaper.  She was fussying a bit to let us know she was hungry.  The next moment, Hannah turns her head and looks right at me, goes quiet and waits.  She is a patient baby.  She knows her mama and knows that good stuff comes from her.

I then fed her and sat her up to burp her. I turned her to face me and she gives me a big smile.  Paris says, "She just smiled at you, she knows who you are."  Now some of you could say, well that was the gas talking, but she made eye contact and smiled.  There's no reward greater than receiving a big smile from your baby for the first time.  

The mere fact that I'm her mommy is still a bit surreal to me.  The first time I said it, tears came rolling down my cheeks.  I'm not her tunte, her aunt, her nanny, or mom's friend.  I'm her mommy and she knows that.  It brings a sense of satisfaction and  fufillment of a dream I've had for a long time. 

3 comments:

Tristen said...

I believe you!!

Karley said...

It's not the gas talking...you're right. She is so sweet. I enjoyed seeing your families at church today for her blessing. What a proud day! You and Paris were beaming.

kelly said...

leslie- i'm so excited for you guys. john said hannah is just so sweet and beautiful. you're right about it being surreal, i remember thinking the same thing with lucy. it's amazing how fast something so small can become the center of your life!